Caprese Salad

Caprese salad is the perfect combination of colors and flavors.  It instantly brightens up an almost-boring “all I could think to make is spaghetti” night.  Plus, with tomato season here, and basil aplenty in my garden, it’s impossible to not crave this delicious salad.

I drizzled a balsamic reduction over the top of the salad, which you can make yourself or buy at the grocery store.  Bertolli makes a decent bottle of the pre-made stuff.  Otherwise, pour 1/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and cook on medium heat until reduced by half.

Ingredients:
-2 Large Ripe Tomatoes, sliced
-8 Ounces Fresh Mozzarella, sliced
-Fresh Basil Leaves
-Drizzle of Olive Oil
-Drizzle of Balsamic Reduction

Assemble the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves on a platter.  Drizzle a little olive oil on top, followed by the balsamic reduction.  Eat and enjoy!

11 thoughts on “Caprese Salad

1. Caroline

17 May on 2012 at 6:32 pm

Gorgeous!! One of my favorites types of salads. This just screams summer. :)

2. Just A Smidgen

17 May on 2012 at 7:06 pm

This is always going to be my favorite salad.. forever.. it’s the flavors, the colors and the freshness of it!

3. Geni - Sweet and Crumby

18 May on 2012 at 9:49 am

Caprese salad is one of my very favorite salads Ashley. You food styling is simply gorgeous and I adore the platter you served it on. That hammered metal is stunning with the salad laid out in a line like you did it. I will have to try serving it that way sometime. It makes quite an impression.

• thedrivencook

20 May on 2012 at 10:48 am

Thank you, Geni! That’s so nice of you. I bought the platter around the holidays at World Market. I bet you could find something similar! I was surprised at how many cute and cheap serving plates, etc they had!

4. spree

18 May on 2012 at 4:46 pm

How can a person improve on a salad like this? Not happenin’! Absolutely beautiful, and I love your presentation!

5. Judy

20 May on 2012 at 10:45 am

Our favorite summer salad when tomatoes are at their peak, fresh basil from the garden makes it even better.

• thedrivencook

20 May on 2012 at 10:49 am

I can’t wait for tomatoes to be at their peak here in Ohio! I have two plants, but they aren’t going to be producing tomatoes for awhile yet! I can assure you that once they are, I’ll be posting lots of tomato recipes, haha.

6. Debbie/Mom

28 May on 2012 at 2:17 pm

Beautiful presentation! Looks like it’s from a food magazine…
    Xoxox